Testing the Hypothesis Part 1

      The opportunity I would like to pursue has to do with clothes, specifically pants, not fitting right. A way to mail clothing and measurements somewhere to have them fitted and returned to you for a relatively low cost could be a viable business opportunity. Most people, unless they have someone to tailor their clothes for them, are only able to find one or two pairs of pants that ever truly fit them right in their life. Any pants, or other items of clothing, could fit you properly if tailored to you.

Who questions:
1. What typically makes you buy a pair of pants? 
2. Do you avoid certain styles of pants? Why?
3. Do you have a favorite pair of pants? What makes them your favorite?
What questions:
1. Do you have other kinds of clothes that you feel do not fit properly? (Shirts, Dresses, etc…) If so what?
2. What happens when you find something you like that doesn't fit you quite right?
3. Do you have easy access to a reasonably priced tailor? If yes how often do you go to them and what for?
Why questions:
1. Do clothes that do not properly affect your daily life? If so why?
2. Does being uncomfortable in your clothes affect your daily life? If so why?
3. Does being restricted to specific styles affect your daily life or self-expression? If so why? 

Interview #1
Female in her second year of college. 
Who questions: 
1. How they look (ripped, high waisted, if I need the color).
2. I avoid low rise due to my lack of hips and butt to hold them up. 
3. My favorite pair is my American Eagle medium wash destroyed jeans. They fit like a dream and the color literally goes with anything plus they look badass due to the destroyed effect. 
What questions: 
1. Dresses, either they are too big in the chest area or look weird.
2. I will usually wait for the item to come back into stock or get something similar. 
3. No. I don’t go often. Only if I need a choir dress taken in. 
Why questions: 
1. I think clothes depending on the occasion and how you are feeling that day.
2. Absolutely! If I am uncomfortable all I can think about is that everyone else is seeing how uncomfortable I am and it messes with me. 
3. No, I mean I work so we have work uniforms but I have different colors and wear them pretty much whenever I work.

Interview #2 
Female in her second year of college. 
Who questions:
1. The fit, the color, and the number of pockets they have.
2. Boot cut and bell bottoms I just don't like how loose the bottoms are
3. My dark blue jeans they pair well with almost anything.
What questions: 
1. No, all my clothes fit pretty well that's why I got them.
2. I usually see If I can get it tailored if it's worth it.
3. I tailor stuff my self or my mom does it.
Why questions: 
1. Yah if something didn't fit well I feel like I wouldn't look my best.
2. Not really but I like wearing comfortable clothes.
3. I'm not restricted to specific styles so no.

Interview #3
Woman in her 40s with some experience in tailoring. 
Who questions:
1. That they fit my body type - no muffin top is one thing that comes to mind.
2. Yes. Super baggy ones bc they make my butt look flatter. 
3. No - still looking for a favorite. 
What questions:
1. Yes - some skirts - too short.
2. I just don’t buy it - I try to avoid doing that.
3. Myself. Although I’m not a tailor technically-there are so many intricacies that take time to learn.
Why questions:
1. (Do you mean not FIT properly?) if so - then they just take up space in my closet.
2. If I actually wear something that is uncomfortable-I’m aware of it constantly so it’s just annoying. But it reminds me of the importance of buying a better fit. Or that losing some inches may be needed.
3. If style restrictions were really a thing - then that would suck for some ppl. I personally believe that everyone can creatively express their style - if they have a natural ability or instinct. Or if they ask for help from someone who does. Also - each person has a body type that will compliment certain clothing designs better than others.
Some people just may not be aware of that & then think they are ‘restricted’ - and be missing out on endless possibilities bc they haven’t asked for advice yet - or might be reluctantly doing so.

Interview #4 
Man in his 50s 
Who questions: 
1. When they wear out or I need one for a particular event. 
2. Ones with multiple pleats and cuffs. Too fussy looking. 
3. Van Heusen jeans. Excellent fit and comfort level. 
What questions: 
1. Shirts.
2. Look for one that does. 
3. As a matter of fact, yes. Once a month, minor alterations, hemming. 
Why questions: 
1. Only from a functional standpoint, not very self-conscious about the look. 
2. Yes, discomfort is distracting and annoying. 
3. Not really, just want to go fishing.

Interview #5
Female in her 50s
Who questions:
1. Cut. Color. 
2. Baggy pants. Don’t fit well. 
3. The fit. 
What questions: 
1. Shirts, Pants, Shorts. 
2. I look for a different size or don’t buy. 
3. Yes, once a year. Alterations. 
Why questions: 
1. No 
2. Don’t feel good in uncomfortable clothes. 
3. Yes, because clothes don’t fit right. 


The majority of people only buy things if they fit well with comfortability bein the key feature to keeping an item of clothing. For many styles is not extremely important but the way they present themselves and the comfortability throughout the day. 

Comments

  1. Hey Ashlyn! Wow I can really benefit from the opportunity you proposed in your testing the hypothesis part 1. I am 5’11’ so it has been a struggle finding pants that are long enough to fit my legs ever since I was a little girl. I truly believe this idea could be a true success especially in college towns like Gainesville. There are tons of girls who need pants fitted for their body-type. A low priced service that could accomplish this would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment