Reading Reflection No.1
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for the Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance
Not much about this reading surprised me about Elon Musk. My home town is Cape Canaveral so we hear and see things about him and other aspects of the space industry often. I admire his work ethic and ability to extend that down the branches of his company. I do not admire how hard he pushes his employees. Many of them quit after the first few years feeling extremely burnt out. He also comes off as uptight and mightier than thou but many CEOs come across this way and without that kind of confidence would not be as successful as they are. Musk is the definition of a perfectionist and will continue to only provide excellence in all of his endeavors. If I were to ask him a question I would probably ask what he wants to accomplish in ten years. Also, I would ask for a meaningful job. I think Elon Musk believes anything can be achieved if you work hard enough. He is a glass half full, take no bull kind of guy.
Hi! I totally agree with your perspective on Elon Musk. His work ethics are questionable and he's just always struck me as a very odd person, but people usually overlook this because of his contributions to science, so I very rarely win any arguments I get in with people over him. However, I guess that's how we've viewed most of the great minds in history since the dawn of time, so I understand where they're coming from.
ReplyDeleteHi Ashlyn, I also read the Elon Musk book! I agree with you that it is not right how Elon Musk treated his employees. I think that since he grew up in such a tough childhood with such an aggressive father, he is probably lacking good people skills. I also believe is work ethic is admirable and it is crazy to me that he has such a drive! Something that did surprise me was how rude his father was to him because I didn’t know about this before. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHey Ashlyn! I too read the Elon Musk book! I agree with your points as well as Caroline's and Rochelle's. I definitely think he is lacking good/normal people skills. His work ethic is undeniably questionable but also extremely admirable at the same time! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete